Dental veneers in Highland Park and Robina
Dental veneers are a thin wafer-like material which is tooth coloured and made from either porcelain or composite resin (filling material). Veneers are made up of custom-made shells that are designed and bonded to cover the front portion of the teeth and are used to correct and repair chips and cracks or moderate tooth discolouration.
Porcelain veneers are thin shells of ceramic material which are bonded to teeth that are damaged, un-shapely, discoloured or in a poor condition to make it stronger.
Each veneer is created individually for each patient in a dental lab after an impression of the prepared teeth has been taken by the dentist.
It could take about four weeks to be made but once fitted, it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between a porcelain veneer and the natural tooth.
Patients who have major structural issues with their teeth, such as, cracks and large gaps between teeth or uneven, broken and stained teeth should consider porcelain veneers.
Advantages of porcelain veneers:
- It is translucent, giving them a more natural and conservative appearance.
- Porcelain veneers are resistant to staining.
- It is strong, very durable and rarely chip.
- They can last between 15 and 20 years they are well maintained.
- They can maintain the bright white colour for a much longer period of time than normal teeth.
Disadvantages of porcelain veneers:
- The waiting period for porcelain veneers could take about four weeks and require more than one dental visit.
- Once the process is complete, it cannot be reversed.
- Porcelain veneers can be costly and usually not repairable once cracked.
- Your teeth may become more sensitive.
Composite resin is applied in layers to the tooth. This is used to correct the shape, length and structure of the tooth. Each layer is hardened using a curing-light and when the process is complete the composite veneers are polished thoroughly before being attached to the tooth structure.
Composite veneers can be considered by patients who have minor issues with their teeth, such as, chipping or discoloration of natural teeth and minor misalignments of teeth.
Composite veneers last approximately between 5 to 10 years if they are cared for properly.
The advantages of composite veneers:
- Composite veneers can be completed in a single visit.
- It is less costly than porcelain veneers.
- The placement of composite veneers can be an easy and painless process.
- Composite veneers can be reversed.
The disadvantages of composite veneers:
- Composite veneers are not as durable as porcelain veneers and are more likely to chip.
- They require more maintenance than porcelain veneers.
- Composite veneers stain more easily than porcelain veneers.
- They cannot fill large gaps between teeth.
- Composite veneers cannot be used when a large portion of the tooth has broken off.
Please contact us at DC Dental in Highland Park or Robina for information on dental veneers.