What causes teeth to discolour?
- The aging process.
- Poor oral hygiene.
- The use of tobacco (smoked or chewed).
- Drinking beverages such as coffee, tea, sodas or red wine.
- Consuming pigmented foods such as cherries and blueberries.
- The build-up of plaque and tartar deposits.
Teeth whitening treatment
Our teeth normally start of being white, but over the years the enamel found on the surface of the teeth gets worn down and exposes the tooth’s core which is a yellow colour of dentin.
Teeth whitening is a very simple way to help remove stains from your teeth without causing it any harm or damage.
This can be done in the comfort of your home by using a custom-made tooth whitening system called the Home Whitening Kit.
The Home Whitening Kit
The Home Whitening Kit is safe and very easy to use. It consists of bleaching products (whitening gel) which bleach the enamel of the teeth and make it whiter.
It also consists of custom-made trays that look similar to a mouth guard. When the whitening gel is applied on these trays, they should be secured onto the teeth, and used for about 30 minutes a day.
This process can be done over a period of two to three weeks or more for optimal results.
- If you experience any sensitivity while undergoing teeth whitening treatment, please remove the tray and contact the dentist.
- Avoid foods and juices that have high acidic levels.
- Some patients have some discomfort of the gums, lips, throat, or tongue. Please contact us at DC Dental in Highland Park or Robina if this occurs.
- Regular dental check-ups are important for the maintenance of your teeth.
- Dispose of any gel that is left over after treatment is completed.
- Temporary inflammation of the gums can occur during teeth whitening.
- Crowns, bridges, partial dentures, veneers, and composite fillings will not whiten when doing teeth whitening.
Please contact us at DC Dental in Highland Park or Robina for information on teeth whitening.