What is Orthodontics Treatment?
Orthodontics is a special branch of dentistry that treats patients with teeth that are misaligned or not positioned properly when the mouth is closed (crooked teeth). This condition is known as malocclusion. Orthodontics can move teeth into the ideal position before they are restored so that you end up with the best appearance and function. Orthodontics is suitable for adults of all ages, not just children.
There are different types of Orthodontic treatments that can straighten teeth and enhance its appearance. It can also reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease by improving the health of the teeth, gums and jaw joints. In addition, Orthodontic benefits may further include, a healthier mouth, a more radiant appearance, and teeth that are healthier for longer.
Within our range of options, we have fixed and removable orthodontics treatments that are available to suit your oral needs. These orthodontic treatments are performed at DC Dental in Highland Park and Robina by our orthodontist specialist who will recommend an appropriate orthodontic treatment for you.
We offer orthodontics treatments such as Metal braces and Invisalign.
What are Metal braces (Traditional braces)
Metal braces are the most common and least expensive type of braces found in orthodontics that are used to correct tooth alignment issues. They are made of metal brackets which are of high quality stainless steel or titanium and are silver in colour.
These metal brackets are glued onto each tooth using a special dental cement which holds the bracket firmly in place.
The brackets are then connected together by heat-activated archwires and tiny elastic bands to help push the teeth into place much faster and with less pain.
The advantages of Metal braces
- They are the least expensive type of braces.
- They have a range of different coloured bands.
- These metal braces are now made much smaller than those that were previously developed which makes them more comfortable and less outstanding.
- They are much stronger and more effective at treating extreme overcrowding compared to other options like Invisalign aligners.
- They are bonded onto the teeth which means they cannot be misplaced.
The disadvantages of Metal braces
- It is the most noticeable type of braces and gives a metal mouth appearance.
- Can be visible when smiling, laughing, or talking.
- They tend to make people (especially teenagers) feel self-conscious.
Caring for Your Braces
Metal braces are worn for a lengthy period of time; therefore, it is very important to follow your orthodontist’s instructions and care for them properly to reap the benefits when they are removed.
Here are a few tips:
- Avoid foods that chewy, hard or aren’t braces-friendly.
- Make sure you brush and floss properly to keep your braces looking clean and avoid staining your teeth.
- It is very important that you keep to your follow up appointments to allow your orthodontist to regularly adjust your braces and discuss any of your questions or concerns.
For information on our Invisalign orthodontic treatment please click the option below: