Crowns and Bridges Treatment in Highland Park and Robina
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cover that is placed over a damaged, chipped or broken tooth to strengthen it, prevent it from deteriorating further, improve its appearance and function normally again. A crown can also be placed on top of a dental implant for shape and structure.
Crowns are made of metal, porcelain, or a combination of both. Porcelain crowns can be matched to the colour of your natural teeth and when bonded to a metal shell it becomes stronger and looks more appealing.
Materials that are stronger than porcelain (gold and metal alloys, acrylic and ceramic) may be recommended for back teeth.
Crowns are custom made for each patient and may take more than one dental appointment to complete the procedure.
The procedure for crowns
- The affected area is numbed for comfort.
- The tooth that is damaged or broken is then shaped and prepared for the crown to be placed accurately over it.
- Impressions of the prepared tooth are then taken to form a model of the mouth and create the final crown.
- In some cases, a temporary crown is used to protect the tooth until the final crown is placed in.
- A dental cement is then used to secure the final crown on the prepared tooth, leaving the tooth healthy and fully functional.
Patients should consider a dental crown when there is a need to:
- Cover a large filling that does not have enough tooth left.
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking or repair a fractured tooth.
- Attach a bridge.
- Cover a dental implant or discoloured tooth.
- Cover up a tooth that has had root canal treatment.
At DC Dental we know that it can be very difficult to speak, bite or even eat when one or more teeth have fallen off. One of the many options that we could recommend for a missing tooth replacement is a dental bridge.
Bridges consists of an artificial tooth (false tooth) that is commonly used to replace one or more missing teeth. They are cemented and then anchored onto the neighbouring teeth for support.
Dental bridges can help you chew food, speak, place your jaws together when biting and maintain the appropriate shape of your face. They cannot be removed from your mouth because they are fixed onto your teeth unless they are removed by the dentist.
The procedure for bridges
- During your first visit, the dentist will create a bridge for your mouth that will look and function just like your natural teeth.
- The affected area is then numbed to offer comfort and the natural neighbouring teeth are prepared to support the bridge.
- Next, the dentist take will Impressions of the prepared teeth which will be used to produce a model of the mouth to make the final bridge.
- A temporary bridge is then placed in for protection until the final bridge is complete.
- When the final bridge is ready, it is mounted in-between the neighbouring teeth.
Benefits of Bridges & Crowns
- Crowns can strengthen a damaged tooth.
- Bridges and crowns can improve a tooth’s appearance, shape and function.
- Bridges can prevent other teeth from shifting (caused by gaps of missing teeth).
- Both can make it easier to speak and eat.
- Bridges and crowns can help retain the shape of your face.
- A crown can protect a threatened tooth.
Bridges and crowns are durable and can last a long time.
Crowns and Bridges Treatment in Highland Park and Robina from DC Dental
If you would like more information, or to book an appointment, please contact us today.