What are Dentures?
Dentures are made from hard resin that is more fragile than natural teeth. They are prosthetic removable devices constructed to replace missing teeth and are supported by surrounding soft and hard tissues of the oral cavity.
Dentures can be complete or partial and they are custom-made according to the impressions taken of your mouth.
Complete dentures cover the entire upper or lower jaw and are made from acrylic. This type of denture can be fitted either with the help of an oral adhesive or suction.
Partial dentures replace one or a few teeth and are made from acrylic and metal.
A yearly check-up is recommended since dentures may need relining, remaking, rebasing or may chip or crack if uncared for.
The Pros and Cons of using Dentures
- Dentures can replace some or all of your missing teeth.
- It can reduce problems associated with your bite and speech.
- It allows you to eat a wider range of food than you could with few or no natural teeth.
- Dentures can also help improve your nutritional needs since it can free you from dietary restrictions.
- Dentures can be more affordable when compared to the newer options available.
- Dentures are not anchored in your jaw and may move a lot.
- The natural shape of your face can change over a long period of time when wearing dentures.
- They can cause gum disease or other types of infections if not cleaned every day.
- They may cause denture breath.
- Dentures may need to be relined, replaced or remade within a year of initial extractions.
- Dentures can be difficult to maintain because they need to be brushed thoroughly every day and stored in a glass of cold water before going to bed.
For more information on Dentures call us at DC Dental at either our Highland Park or Robina office!